View Single Post
      05-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #63
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Drives: Fast

I just changed my oil/filter for the first time @ 1837 and would like to dump a huge heap of praise on everyone who contributed to this thread.

Everything went swimmingly until I attempted to screw back on the filter top. When removing it, I noticed the final position of the green mark and counted the # of turns until it came free. Put on the O-rings, lubricated them and pre-oiled the filter. Now came the fun part!

The green marks would not line up! ...and it seemed that the o-ring was oozing out from the top. I'm not one just to let things stay the way they are if I'm not 100% positive that it's the way it should be. Thankfully, this OCD trait that I have, probably saved my butt.

I came back inside and looked at this thread again and noticed that I positioned the large o-ring at the top of the filter cap instead of seating it in it's proper place, which caused the issue of not being able to align the green marks and causing the o-ring to ooze out. I removed the filter cap and since I was not comfortable using the new o-ring that I might have compromised, I replaced it with the original one (I figure that it should still be good since it has only been in service just a short time) and set it properly this time. The filter cap then went on without a hitch.

Filled all 7 qts, checked for any drips, started the engine and re-checked for drips. Not a drop! Let it warm up and checked the oil level sensor....everything A-OK!

Thanks again to this great forum! :rocks: