View Single Post
      08-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
cssnms
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Everyone should keep in mind that the base fuel used in the Spider test should never be made available for sale. It's "virgin"" ULSD.
While true the test demonstrates a "worst case" senario, IMO that factoid has little bearing on the results and I believe it is the best way to demonstrate the added lubricity properties of each tested product or in otherwords to develope a baseline for each product.

Certainly an argument can be made that ULSD with a lubricity additive may react differently when combined with any one of the tested fuel additives. However, I am of the belief that the addition of a quality fuel additive will enhance the lubricity of retail ULSD.

The more important take-away as I see it is best summarized by Spicer below:

"The potential result of using inadequately treated fuel, as indicated above, can be catastrophic. There have been many documented cases of randomly tested samples of diesel fuel. These tests prove that often times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems."
cssnms is offline   United_States