View Single Post
      08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Drives: 2008 328i E90 6MT

Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Glim is correct. Read the link. But to summarize: I accidentally discovered the pump low speed fault code in the ECU during another maintenance activity several months after it occurred. The first fault code showed up around 138,000 miles. I cleared them. The second instance of codes came up at around 145K (IIRC). I cleared them. Then the pump died on a 100 degree day about a month ago now, at 149,500 miles. The detail to all this is in the thread Glim referenced. I drive about 40,000 miles a year, so this all happened in the past 5 months or so.

My advice is if you discover the codes with a scan (using a BMW-compatible scan tool) change the pump soon after because it will eventually fail. I dissected my pump and can only surmise the failure is related to over-heated electronics. My pump spun just fine and the plastic impeller looked as good as new. The electronics smelled burnt. There was a fult code once the pump failed that said "Electronics - 77 Deg. C."

There is no warning when it is about to fail. It fails, the car overheats, the idiot lights light up. It's a great idea to have an electric water pump, but a poor design implementation on BMW's part.

Very dumb there is no type of warning. Going from a perfecting running car 1 minute, to an overheated-get the hell off the road-turn my engine off-car the next is quite scary. Just think about stop and go traffic on a major highway!

what solutions are there to the scan tool? I do not "mod" my car a lot, or track drive, or even drive that hard. I don't do a lot of work myself, but would like to keeps tabs on my car - and water pump. Is there a "cheaper" solution than buying a $200 scan tool just to read some codes? isnt there a way to hook up a laptop or something for much cheaper?

others that have had pumps fail, does the car act the same way? One minute fine, the next its overheating?
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:35% Tint:Blacklines:OEM Front Splitters : OEM style CF truck spoiler : CF mirror cover overlays: 19" VMR Flow-formed v710: Hankook v12 Evo2 tires

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 08-16-2011 at 03:00 PM.