08-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #31
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
I always think about the example of AIDS/HIV. It is much more profitable for drug companies to treat these patients than it is to cure them. It is such a horrible thing to even think about.

There was a short period of time when both sides talked about preventative medicine. But it is such a complex problem to tackle. It is infinitely simpler to just say, "We will just pay for your medical coverage."

The number of companies incorporating "Wellness Plans" is growing day by day. It has been shown to decrease the amount of money that they have to spend on their employees health benefits. It comes with an initial investment. But it pays dividends in the long run. I am not directly saying we should run this country like a business. But, we could certainly learn from what many of these companies are doing. As long as it is optional, it appeases everyone. No one should be forced to eat a certain way or go to the gym. But when people are given a no cost option, studies have shown they take advantage of the opportunity. Certainly a step in the right direction.
Call me crazy, but I agree with the bolded. Why not incentivize being healthy??

Subsidize people who participate in marathons. Subsidize gym memberships. Government bonus checks for people who can maintain their BMI or body fat % below a certain level. But before that, do economic feasibility studies to determine which studies have positive externalities exceeding their costs.