View Single Post
      08-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Drivaar
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Cool Koni FSD Review: Better Ride Quality AND Better Handling -- It's true!!!

I've been asking a lot of questions in the past few weeks about Koni FSDs, and recently I got them installed. So here's my review...

Basically, I can't imagine any better scenario than this:

+ Smoother ride than stock sport shocks on bumps and uneven roads
+ Firmer, more responsive, flatter ride for cornering
+ $650 for 4 shocks (vs. ~1,000 for stock sport shocks if I calculated right)
+ Minimal dive when braking
+ Minimal squat when accelerating

It really is as advertised, and I couldn't quite believe it. I've driven it on some terrible freeways, and all bumps, even severe ones, are much less intrusive now.

And then when you take a corner, the car is so level and responsive, it's stunning. Same thing with quick lane changes or avoidance maneuvers... the car's handling is just very sharp now while being more comfortable!

I am very very impressed. The only question I have about the Koni FSDs is whether they'll be prone to failure, since they are a little more complex than standard shocks. But Koni warrants them for their lifetime as long as you own your car, so I guess I don't need to worry about that.

I guess they have a good patent on the tech, because it seems weird that every car manufacturer is basically directly trading off ride quality vs. handling. As someone else had posted about the FSDs, these are the shocks that should come standard for a luxury sport sedan.

Bottom line: If you want to make the stock sport suspension strictly better, Koni FSDs are really the no-brainer choice if you have $650 + about $300 for install to spare.

I hope this helps anyone who's thinking about getting them. Just go get them!

And thank you so much to everyone who answered my many questions along the way!

Last edited by Drivaar; 08-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.