View Single Post
      09-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I agree with your argument as it pertains to corporate strategy but if you push an engineering model as being superior and suddenly drop it that could be considered a reversal on your original position whether or not it made financial sense or determined the survivability of the company. That's what I'm focusing on here.

Either way I'm just trying to get a fun discussion going, not trying to argue whether BMW's position is justified. They've gone from being a company that made its bread and butter out of pushing and selling RWD + I6. If it helps imagine they will stop making RWD + I6 altogether and just contribute to this thread.
Yes, one can lose credibility when they espouse that one idea is superior for a long time, and then switch to the opposite. BMW obviously will lose credibility with the people that actually believed RWD or I6 was better and went and bought a car based on that line of advertising. BMWs market research must have thought that they could make more money even if they lost some of that credibility with those original folks. Shrugs.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0