View Single Post
      12-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183

I've often thought about what it would be like in a world with no money...in a world where no one is selfish and everyone works, just to work for the advancement of mankind--not to make money for themselves...a world where if you want to drive a BMW, or a Ferarri, you just go down to the local car community and take the car you want and keep it as long as you want, then return it when you're done.

Wait, what am I talking about???

Isn't that almost kind of like..Communism in a way?

I did something very similar to the "what if we were poor and had no money" senerio as a community service and growth thing last year. I went to a homeless shelter and lived there with the homeless for a week and didn't get to shower and ate only once a day. It gave me the chance to get to know these people and the type of lives they lead. Even though they didn't live in huge houses, have the huge cars or the bling, they were SO THANKFUL for what they had. They were so happy they had place to stay instead of sitting outside and sleeping on sidewalks and they were so thankful they even got a meal at all. They were also really closely bonded with each other -- something a lot of people in our society lack. Growing up in California, people here are so busy. People are so caught up in their work and making moneythat they often times pass other people up without noticing them and they don't spend anytime with their family.

Staying in that homeless shelter for a week really made me reorganize and reestablish the things in my life that matter the most to me. Granted, life is great when there is enough money to buy the things you need, but it's nothing if you don't have people to share your happiness with.