09-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
So from what I understand, Av and Tv mode give you more control over the settings. Av you can use to shoot pretty much anything and Tv can be used to shoot objects in motion.
Well, Av and Tv give you more control than the Auto mode. In instances where you want to control the aperture or the shutter speed, you would use Av and Tv modes, respectively. You can use either, but it makes more sense to use Av for pretty much any shooting where you don't care about the shutter speed as much.

If you're shooting F1 racing, football, etc you want to make sure the objects are in focus and not blurred, so you may care about shutter speed. That's when you use Tv. If you're shooting non/slow-moving objects, assuming you have enough light, changing your shutter speed from 1/100s to 1/500s doesn't give you much. However, changing from f/11 to f/4 does. It all depends on your composition as well. Sometimes you want a small aperture if you want the background to be clear, but other times you want the background to be out of focus as much as possible, so you choose a wide open aperture.

This is just one of many parameters... you should also be thinking of DoF, focal lengths, ISOs, etc as well. It gets complicated, but start out simple and expand your knowledge by reading and with practice.

In all honesty, you should check out the Zack Azaria videos I posted here for a good tutorial:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=316