View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #682
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
I've been in an M3 that had to take a cool down lap in the middle of a session in the spring at Laguna Seca. It wasn't hot that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I have pics on this thread of an E90 M3's oil temps at 290F, after 3 laps on an 86 degree day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
A stock M3 is not a solution either. Agreed though that cooling the N54 for track duty is a more expensive ordeal.

Have a look at the M3 track forum, top thread right now is "Overheating at the track" with overheating reports within a few laps and 80F, and discussions on cooling mods...

I've tracked a 335 and M3 during the Summer in 95+ degree heat and both have done well for me. One thing I do is not red line it all the time and it seems to help a LOT for engine temps. In the 335 I'd keep the revs to under 6,000 and in the M3 under 7,000 most of the time around a track. If there's a stretch that needs me to stretch to the red, I'll do it, but if it's not necessary to redline, I'll shift a little early.
My tires would get greasy before the engine would overheat. I'm not the fastest in my group, but definitely pass a few groups too.

Having said that, I've seem someone in a 335 go limp with 2-3 hot laps. I don't know if BMW put in lower temp cut off's for limp modes in the newer cars since our 335 is a 2007 model with an Auto/Sport.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 09-20-2011 at 05:52 PM.