10-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Well, I've looked everywhere for the RS3. Both Tire Rack and ATC could only give me an ETA of maybe late November. So, I kept looking. I found a s2000 vendor that had them in stock but added $100 for shipping. So, back to looking again.

I decided to check other options. As Hack pointed out, I could look into entry level R compounds. In my search, I found some good deals but the best were NT01 in the same size: 255/40/17. Now I'm still not 100% sure it'll fit but figured WTH, why not give it a try.

Here's my reasoning for ultimately choosing this tire. And yes, your comments did help.

- Why get a street tire when I spent money for a track dedicated setup?
- Why get something that can be driven in the wet? This car is my DD and therefore I will be a fair weather track enthusiast only. Therefore, I should focus on the best dry performance.
- I want to go faster. With a street compound, Am I really gaining all that much? Why go half ass? Spend a little more and reap the benefits of R.
- I've read many reviews and comparisons. If a nutshell, it looks like the R compound should be 2-3 seconds faster around tracks like Infineon or Thunderhill.
- Lastly, the final price difference was only $148 more. No big deal.

So, the NT01 are now ordered for a grand total of $703 delivered to my door. I'll post again after a fitment test. Wish me luck.

Bought it here...

http://discounttires.com/list.php?c=...=&brandID=1334
I knew I could count on you to test drive the right tires for me

While you're waiting for delivery, have a look at the track subforum of bimmerforums, search for NT01 as the subject for some really good advice on how to make the most out of these tires.
Appreciate 0