View Single Post
      11-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post
Not a fan of the ride but had a MINI to take from Chigwell to Reading for BMW Bootcamp a while back and the steering seemed slightly off when I set off in the morning (just put it down to KDS as it didn't seem to bad and I couldn't see any punctures).
It's a long way (circa 75 miles), I was edging close to being late so naturally I was driving carefully and not being aggressive at all.

I got all the way to Reading and was driving along slow country roads, about 5 minutes in to that I heard a whooping noise coming from the rear of the car, the steering was still good though and the tyre pressure warning light hadn't displayed!!
It wasn't easy to spot that the wheel was flat it looked near perfect from the outside, it was only when the wheel came off that I could see where the puncture was, literally a hole in the tyre accompanied by a 1.5 inch gash, the tyre had literally shreaded in that area. Overall, well impressed that it didn't fall apart on the motorway and that I made it to Reading alive.
Understand what you are saying, but had they been conventional tyres you'd have known of the puncture, and likely not even have driven the car... so what is the greatest risk...? But why no warning?????

In my view, RFT technology is a two edged sword, fine if it is all textbook, but open to abuse more easily than normal tyres.

Plus the idea many have, that the car will tell you when you need to add air to the tyres....

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0