06-26-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
I always get to play the black but only on Thursdays. Your best bet is to make the sacrifice and get in line as early as 11pm the night before to assure yourself of a 7-8am tee time. BTW, if you also want to get a caddie, they are always available outside the ticket office. (not cheap though...it'll cost you about $90 with tip.)
This is your best bet since you're coming from MD. Be prepared to have a punishing round. It beats me up everytime I play it.

Pundits, in print and on television, oozed to the point of cliché about Oakmont needing barely a tweak from the USGA for this year's Open. Other than Bethpage's greens not rolling at the 15 they did during the 2002 Open and the rough -- probably against superintendent Craig Currier's preference -- not quite as deep, the public is playing a similar course to what the pros did.

"There was a lot of discussion about that and the feeling was that people come here to get the U.S. Open experience, and they don't get that if the fairways are 35 yards wide," Catalano said. "The golf course almost looks the way it did in 2002. It's perfect almost every day of the week."