Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
Here's my scenario.

I bought the car 10 months ago (April). Saw that the previous owner in January had the ticking issue and got the lifters replaced. Since April I have only put about 2,300 miles on my car (about 5,000 miles since the lifters). I heard the tick once a couple months ago and again 2 days in a row this past weekend. I have new car warranty until the 20th and CPO until 2014. I Started my car today (50 degrees) and let it idle for 10 minutes and no tick.

I have a video of the tick over this last weekend, but is it even worth going to dealer for such a rare issue?
Get it replaced. It's a BMW. You paid a lot of money for it. It's supposed to be known for good quality and engineering. I don't expect any less. As some people have shown before, parts get scored quicker when this problem persists. I bet it will shorten the life span of your engine in the long run. I plan on keeping my car as long as I can so I want mine repaired.

Speaking of repair, I had the lifters replaced back on January 20. Since then, I've driven the car twice since we've had some phenomenal weather. Unfortunately, the lifter ticking has come back. Time to bring the car back to the shop.