View Single Post
      02-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
itrocks4u
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

UPDATE TO THE FIRST POST - Update: Feb 27 2012

After the initial installation of the passenger side, I kind of came to a stand still as I had no idea how to install the drivers side. There is absolutely no way to access the AE from the top. After doing a lot of reading and asking around, I realized the only option is to go through the wheel fender. Problems I ran into: Did not have the right jack! Or the 8mm and 10mm sockets that I needed. Hence I had to wait a full week to install them due to working 14 hours a day, every day!

Driver's side installation:

If you're doing it for the first time, it's not an easy task due to which I would give it a 9 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest. For anyone who needs to know how this is done, here's what I did:

Tools required:
- 8mm and 10 mm socket
- 17 mm wrench

1) READ Lux Angel eye guide for pre-lci. Mark does a really good job in explaining how to open the wheel fender, with all the screws marked. I did note that I had to take 2 additional 8mm bolts out from the bottom, but you'll be able to find them easily.

2) I used a jack to lift the car up. Note: I first tried to take the wheel off but for some reason even after taking off all the lugs, the wheel just didn't want to come off, like it was frozen So I turned the wheel fully out, jacked it up and realized that there is more than enough space to access all the bolts. Just be careful with it. Have a proper and secure jack!

3) After loosening all the nuts, I started to pull on the fender to see how to take it off. Mark's guide again (for pre-lci) explains how to do it so make sure to read that. Take note of how you took it off so you can put it back on in the same manner. Use passenger side for reference.

4) Once the fender was out, the rest of the process was easy. I did use some help, as it was hard to see the stock AE screw on the inside. Just guide the person going through the fender while viewing it from the top.

5) Follow Mark's LCI Halogen guide for installing the unit itself which is fairly easy. Also both units are exactly the same so it doesn't matter which one you plug on which side.

Here are a few more pictures I took today:

Early evening, not facing the sun directly:

Name:  1 - front - 5pm.JPG
Views: 2178
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  2 - front - 5pm.JPG
Views: 18064
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  2.5.JPG
Views: 2176
Size:  47.0 KB

Facing the setting sun directly:

Name:  3 - Direct sun.JPG
Views: 15289
Size:  61.9 KB

Night:

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 15129
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 2255
Size:  60.0 KB

OVERALL CONCLUSION

LOVE the new look. I didn't change the yellow low beams to white and honestly, it doesn't look bad! During the day though, I like the white AEs!

Last edited by itrocks4u; 02-27-2012 at 01:21 AM.