Thread: PWR radiator
View Single Post
      03-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #102
Justin@ADVAN Performance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I understand that the close mesh configuration helped cooling so that more heat can be evacuated due to the larger surface area available for cooling.

Why would this design then be particularly interesting for those who are living in colder climates where less (and not more) cooling is needed?

Alpina_B3_Lux
Hey Alpina,

when I recommended the core upgrade for vehicles "that are not daily driven or for owners that live in a cooler climate", this was in reference to the reduced airflow you are likely to see through the denser "Close Mesh Core Configuration" at low air speeds.

For vehicles that are in stop-go traffic or warmer climates, I was told it's quite possible you will see higher water temps, with the use of PWR's core upgrade in daily driving due to airflow restrictions, than you otherwise would with their standard core. In a cooler climate with significantly lower ambient temps, there would be less thermal load on the cooling system, so airflow through the rad' would not be as much of a concern.

However on the race track where you have maximum air speed and thereby full penetration of air through the densely finned 42 mm core, heat transfer properties are much improved over their standard core.

This is where the "Close Mesh Core Configuration" comes into its own, as under the extreme driving conditions of the racetrack, the thermal load on the cooling system will be further reduced, due to the higher efficiency of PWR's core upgrade.

Cheers,

JD.
Justin@ADVAN Performance is offline   Australia