Ok, I did this last night.
Everything went good and I ended up using the pipes on the sides. I used a hot glue gun to glue it. I let it cool for about 15 minutes.
I soldered the ground wire to the LED's since it had to be cut off the 12v outlet. I couldn't get the outlet out...but oh well.
Putting the LED's in the side pipes went back into the console just fine. No problems with clearance. The light output has a great feature that I didn't pickup on when doing this. The lights are so far back that you really hardly notice it's lit. That is...when it's empty. The lights hit nothing when it's empty but when there's something in there...you can see the lights hitting it. Less distracting than having a light cast down there at all times.
Another plus for using these pipes is that your drilling is symmetrical. I used a small bit, then a 1/8" bit. Don't push on the drill...at all. Just let it do the work. You could rig something up...like wrapping tape around the bit to stay centered in the pipe...I did it free hand.
I'm happy with the way it came out. Here are some crappy phone pics. Guess I need to take one of the finished product. BRB.