04-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #764
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Yeah, it's vinyl, 3M 1080 in particular. I'm usually the same as you in that I don't like the terms being used interchangeably. I'm also not a fan of the vinyl being used on exterior parts (roofs, hoods, lips, etc.) as it looks like "dry" carbon fiber without the resin coating, which is never used on the exterior of a vehicle.

Instead of ordering black floor mats to complement my trim, I'm going to pick up some carpet cleaning supplies and some dye and try dying my existing ones. I need another DIY project, and it'll safe me a few bucks that I can put toward another project. If anyone's interested, I'll keep a work log and photos of the process.

I used dry carbon fiber on the exterior of my motor swapped race moped , but I agree haha. Glossy carbon is amazing to look at. Even if there was no weight savings I'd still use it on everything.

If you are looking into DIY projects and love carbon as much as me, you should look into overlaying stuff with REAL carbon. I'd probably give you enough business to make it worth it there alone

Let me know how the carpet dying goes. This could be interesting!
Appreciate 0