View Single Post
      04-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #21

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 530d xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
Awesome post and pictures! We've just purchased a BMW Walnut blaster too to do my Dad's 335i. Might look into renting the tool and/or helping others do it in the Pacific NW if all goes well .
Originally Posted by 335twins View Post
great post, my dealer told me that it should be done every 30,000 miles but its not covered under the maintenance plan..
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Wow, nice write up!
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Great review dude
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Excellent review and write up!
Thanks for all your nice comments, that is really very motivating. It always takes a lot of time to write and document this, so it's great to know that the work is appreciated.

I'll have another car done in about ten days and will post a photo with the correct adapter so that you know what it looks like.

Originally Posted by infidel82 View Post
This is a really excellent review.

I did this with a few guys from this board a couple of weeks ago but used a different walnut blaster.

The walnut blaster I used was from Harbour Freight tools for around 20 dollars and was a hand held device with a hopper on top for about $25.

There were a couple of issues with this:
1) The compressor we were using was not of high enough pressure
2) The tool kept jamming (correct non-reused media was in use)
3) It was difficult to get the tool to Cyl 6 as the space was limited
4) It makes a hell of a mess

That said I did feel that it accomplished similar effects but just took a lot more time - and a lot less money.

I would personally recommend that for 1000 USD if more than two people want to buy it, it becomes cost effective as dealers charge around 500USD for the service.
I agree. And you have the advantage that it probably works better and with less of a mess with the BMW tool.

Originally Posted by westwing222 View Post
Really awesome write up.

Can this same process work on the 335xi (2008)? I know you mentioned the 335i but I don't know if any differences exists between the two as far as around the manifold.
I am reasonably certain it would also work with an xi. I do not think that there are significant differences due to the AWD in the engine bay (at least not around the manifold).

Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
Thanks for doing this for us!
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
As usual, great review. Your valves didn't look as bad as many others I've seen, but WOW did you get them clean afterward.
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
wow...excellent review Sir!
Thank you!

Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i