Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogo44 View Post
I am looking into getting an intercooler for my e92 and I am curious about a few things: 1. Is it worth getting an intercooler on stock, as in do you see a noticeable difference? 2. Has anyone had any issues with theirs? Which brands are best? 3. Do many warning lights/sensors trip when it senses a new intercooler? 4. I just want to learn/hear more about intercoolers in general, so anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help!
I'll just answer all your questions to put this to rest
  1. Is it worth getting an intercooler on stock
    No, because the car is set for factory performance (boost), you'll just be getting colder air in the engine. So while you're efficency will increase & the engine won't be working as hard (cold air is better for the engine), you won't see your HP/TQ numbers jump. A tune should ALWAYS be the 1st performance mod you make.
  2. Has anyone had issues? What brands are best?
    If installed properly, you should have NO problems except minor trimming for fitment. Some FMICs can slide right into the OEM slot, others you have to make some trimming for it to fit --- No real problems. Popular brands are Helix, HPF, Evolution Racewerks, AMS, Wanger + ETS. IMO, Helix is the best w/ its stepped design -- Can't go wrong w/ any of them tho
  3. Do warning lights/sensors trip when it sense a new intercooler?
    If you're completely stock, it's possible. That's the whole purpose behind getting a tune, the tune would support the FMIC and you wouldnt get any lights. Just like when ppl install DPs on their cars, if they leave it on the stock or lower performance maps, they'll get a CEL. Change the MAP you're using for something more aggressive & your tune will clear the CEL off your dash.
  4. General Comments:
    Get a tune, get an intake & then get a FMIC. I see you live in FL so you have hot-dense humid air. That's going to raise your temps quickly and make the engine work harder on hot air. If you really want to get max performance while protecting your car, without a doubt you should be shopping for a FMIC before you even start looking at things like DPs or Meth (ESPECIALLY if you're gonna really get on your car with lots of highway pulls, drag strips & track days).

Last edited by benzy89; 05-14-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0