View Single Post
      05-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
So I got myself those beautiful rotors at all 4 corners with Porterfield R4 S pads. I just had a track day with 7 x 20 min sessions at LCMT. Much more consistent braking than the OEM rotors + Cool Carbon pads.

Only thing, I have used over 50% of the front pads. The rears roughly 1/3. I also noticed metal filings sticking to the calipers. Looks like the slots are chumping off the pads. Any thoughts? Maybe harder pad compound for longer track life? Otherwise 2-day events will require a new set of pads each time.

Is track only pads the solution for track and changing to softer material for street?
If you're serious about tracking the car, which it seems you are by getting the RB rotors. Get some real track compound, PFCs, Hawk DTC 70 or 60s, Carbotechs, Pagids, Endless to name a few. You'll notice a huge difference in stopping power and consistency/performance.

Carbotechs are easier on rotors, but wear faster, it's a trade off on what's more expensive to replace.

Hawk DTC are very aggressive on rotors, also last a bit longer pad wise, but performance decreases as the pad gets thinner.

PFC01 are great, or the 08s for their endurance compound, which lasts a long time.

The Pagids and Endless are also endurance based compounds but very expensive as well.

I've used Hawks, and are now using Carbotech XP16/12 Front/Rear, they perform really well. May try the Pagid RS29s after the Carbotechs are done just to compare.

EDIT:

I keep a set of front floating rotors just for the track, and always switch out pads street/track for the events on all four corners.