View Single Post
      05-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #2204
CdnM3

Drives: e90 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
Honestly, I heard the noise 3 times last winter and haven't heard it again since. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is what I'm going by. People have complained about this noise becoming an actual issue when EVERY start up it was doing it. That's when I'll worry about it.... (or until my CPO runs out 2/2014) Lol
After having worked a few years as a service advisor for another brand, I'll tell you this much: Never, ever sit on an issue, always be polite, courteous but firm on your requests to have the dealer address an issue. Even if you can't hear it now, even if they can't hear it when the car is in the shop, tell them it's a well known/documented issue and that you're still hearing it intermittently.

As a service advisor, I was instructed by my service manager to try to dismiss as much as possible as being normal. It's a PITA to manage warranty claims, head office is always on your back if your replacement average for certain components are above regional or national average and you know what, just dismissing an issue or a minor issue as being "normal" works with most customers. They'll unfortunately take your word for it and be on their way. Sometimes the issue isn't a particularly grave one and the car will still perform normally for a while (until the warranty runs out and then it's not the dealer's problem anymore). Sometimes it turns into a major issue you have to deal with under warranty and believe you me, some manufacturers give their dealers a hard time to discourage them from passing a repair under warranty to cut on costs.

At the end of the day, they're there to make money and so are the dealerships. The service staff is extremely busy and would rather work on things that generate profit and fixing an issue under warranty will maybe make you break even. Dealers aren't interested in that.

Unfortunately, when things take a turn for the worse, the customer has to foot the bill or has to battle it out against Goliath in court. I never worked for BMW but from what I've been reading in the last few years of owning BMW's on various message boards, they won't hesitate to put a band aid on a gunshot wound just to make the car last through warranty and after that, you're on your own.

It's a lot easier to have an issue taken care of while you're under warranty than out. Just read through the thread and you'll see how quickly the dealers are quoting an $8k head replacement when you bring your car in with a ticking noise while out of warranty. I might have to make a few phone calls, argue with a service advisor or manager, but at the end of the day, I'll be paying my $50 deductible to have the head replaced under warranty. And that's exactly why I paid a bit more for a CPO car.