06-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #82
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I'm not sure where you are getting this info from. If you are running methanol or e85, cylinder temp isn't close to being an issue. And if you are running a proper methanol system, there is no question meth mixture to deal with. It's only when knock occurs that you will see a sudden rise in cylinder temp. Increasing advance to the point of MBT does only good things if there is sufficient octane. The word "inconsistent" doesn't come up when running a properly tuned engine in a non octane limited environment (i.e., when running meth or e85).

Tell that to your customers, not me. And PS: there is a reason why I asked if you dynoed on a load-bearing dyno e.g. Mustang. Even on meth, you will see that MBT is significantly lower than what you may encounter on a Dynojet.

Also worth mentioning that running advance (more timing that stock) is worth 10-15whp when running a 50/50 E85 blend.

On a Dynojet.

There is no "my ignition advance". it is not unique to me. It's simply one direction of ignition advance adjustability. One ingredient to use if the recipe calls for it. Not having this ingredient at hand means that there are some recipes than you cannot make as well as if it were available to you.

Sorry for the poor use of words. I should have said "more aggressive than the stock curve". I'm not interested in this recipe but thanks for offering.

Also, a mustang dyno does not necessarily induce more load or stress than a dynojet. Everything depends on the ramp up rate/run duration. I can't speak for what others do. But I know what they don't do: and that is offer an engine control system that reliably supports 600+whp on a stock n54 block in customer cars. On a serious note, I don't look at what others do or don't do to determine what is "correct." Instead, I test things myself in every condition I have access to. And i don't pussyfoot the accelerator either. Running additional spark advance when called for isn't unique. The key is to design a control system that calls for it when, and only when, it is welcome.

So you're saying a Mustang isn't a load-bearing dyno? Dynojets are inertia-based dynos that do not put the car under true stress. For those who do single gear pulls once a week, which is 99% of the tuned userbase, I don't see any harm. For those who go on airstrip runs well past the governor need to ensure the car is happy in those higher gears.

Shiv
bolded.