View Single Post
      06-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub View Post
Polestar has been tuning Volvos for a while now. It will never be sold here.
They are actually the newest "tuner" (in quotes because they are available only through Volvo dealers) in the US Volvo market and currently offer only a single tune for the S60/S80/XC60/XC70 T6 engines.

Keep in mind the Polestar S60 is only a concept car that Polestar released, not a pre-production car that Volvo released.

As an FYI, my background has been tuning Volvo's for the past 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1796 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the article I read on it said that the non Polestar version has 300hp, AWD, a six speed, and still takes 6 seconds to get to 60.

The Volvo S60 T6 AWD is available with 304BHP from the factory. A dealer installed Polestar tune will bump it up to 325BHP. The S60 T6 R-Design AWD comes with the 325BHP tune from the factory. Both variants are currently only available with a 6-speed automatic gearbox here in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
A friend/coworker had the Volovo S60R. It was an awesome looking car but handled like absolute garbage. He was constantly complaining about the suspension and how poorly it handled. He only kept it for 2 months before trading it on an Evo X MR.
I wouldn't say the Volvo S60R handles poorly (I have one). Sure, it may not handle as good as an Evo X MR, but it handles very well straight from the factory. It's a bit of a hog weighing in well over 3600 pounds compared to the EVo, so it's not suited for an auto-cross. With a few tweaks of the suspension (springs, upgraded anti-sway bars, chassis braces, etc) it handles quite well, actually. About as good as my 335is on the street.

The Volvo S60R is better for circuit/longer road courses. It's flat torque curve, 6-speed manual gearbox and 4-piston Brembo's with 3300mm rotors all around make is a competitive car on tracks like WG, etc.