View Single Post
      07-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #98
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Worst part is he makes illogical points; not politically illogical, logically illogical. When I said that the raw dollar amount he pays in taxes is immaterial (vs the percentage), he responded by giving me scenarios where the cost of purchasing items are in percentages rather than dollars. I have no idea wtf that has to do with anything, but it's absolutely retarded.
He was clearly illustrating how percentages are not as important as raw dollars. If you cannot see that, then that perhaps explains why you apparently think that raw dollars are meaningless.

Let me try and explain it differently.

Why does the gov collect taxes? To pay for the services they render.

Those services cost money. RAW DOLLARS. The costs of those do not vary based upon who is consuming them. It costs x dollars to buy an F-16, for example.

Scotch, when you see an F-16, you should realize that the "whiny, millionaire business owners" have paid for a much bigger piece of that airplane than you have, yet you both enjoy the freedoms it defends. The RAW dollars they rich contibute are a much larger piece of the tax revenue pie than the middle class.

Without the rich, it's fair to say that the F-16 would simply not be in the air at all. It's not as if the gov would go to General Dynamics and say, "the ability to pay of our taxpayer base simply cannot afford to pay any more, so we're gonna need you to sell us that jet at 25 cents on the dollar. That wouldnt happen, General Dynamics would lose their shirt, so the jet simply wouldnt be there at all. Percentages and ability to pay are irrelevant; the gear costs a lot of raw dollars, regardless of who it protects.

Not sure how make that basic arithmetic concept any simpler...

Of course, you can make them suffer the same hardship as the middle class by jacking up the tax rates, but unlike the last time we did that, this is 2012, and there are a LOT of other options around the globe that were not there before. They will take their money, and invest it elsewhere. You think job offshoring of jobs is bad now, just tax them more. It ain't 1960 anymore. People have choices, dont encourage them to exercise those choices...