First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
It shouldnt stop us from getting to the point where eventually, everyone has some kind of healthcare. In the meantime, it should cause us to limit or control the rate at which un-insured people start getting coverage, so that the sudden surge does not overwhelm the system to the point where it is damaging to everyone.

My biggest fear is the "lifeboat effect". (ie: 20 seat lifeboat is full, but nobody wants to leave the last 5 people on deck, so they invite them in. Overcapacity causes that lifeboat to sink, thus drowning 25 people instead of 5)
Easing people into the system while raising capacity/ability to provide service. It actually makes sense to me at least, but I am a bit odd.

I guess you would have to start with those who are the most in need. But then how do we decide/choose those most in need. Children first, I don't know? We need more healthcare providers, but that takes time. Do we run the risk of rushing the training or lowering the standards? Neither is acceptable to me. Oy!!! There I go, over-thinking things again.

Quite the quandary.