View Single Post
      07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
jaiman
Captain

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Your remarks then suggest that Canadian interpretations of labels such as "conservative" and "liberal" dont convert directly to American equivalents.

Balancing a budget with severe spending cuts sounds like a sound economic idea to me, doesn't sound like something a person with liberal or left ideologies would be very happy about.

Actions > Labels IMHO. Frankly, the semantics of the name doesnt matter to me, you can call your party the crazy bastards, but if you make smart economic choices such as cutting spending, and lowering corporate tax rates, you got my support over someone who wants to raise taxes and jack up the spending.
Its more that the political center in Canada is more to the left than in America and the spread between the left and right is much narrower. The Liberals are the party of the left, but in the late 90s and early 2000s Canada was drowning in debt and a new path was needed. I suspect that if America continues to divide itself viciously along party lines, the wealth gap will continue to grow.
Appreciate 0