View Single Post
      08-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #1676
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I understand so many choices can make it hard. In general I would suggest you pick up the DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit, and you can select any combination of pads you prefer by adding a comment in the comment field.

As for products if you just want to use a very light polish try the Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000 (PO106FA Nano Polish) is a great choice applied with at least two white pads. This will help safely remove very fine imperfections, oxidation, etc. and restore a great shine. Afterward you can protect the surface and enhance the shine with a quality sealant. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant is one of my favorite choices and can be applied with the blue pad.

I hand remove both of these products with clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel, probably at least 2 - 3 to remove the polish and 1 - 2 for the sealant. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Quote:
Dave,

Unfortunately the very inexpensive units are usually not worth it because they don't have enough power to work in a polish and the pad/bonnets are not great for the paint. For a high quality buffer that is reasonably affordable the Porter Cable 7424 XP is a great choice, in a kit like this one DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 4" Basic Kit.

If you have the time for a two step process I'd highly recommend getting a polish and sealant instead of a cleaner wax and a sealer wax, which would be somewhat redundant. By using a light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 you can clean the surface and remove some of the ultra fine swirls and oxidation. I would apply this with at least two white pads and then pick up one blue pad for the sealant. My favorite sealant is the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection but the Rejex Sealant will also work great. This combo should produce an incredible shine and protect the surface for months. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Quote:
Glad to hear the detailing went well! In 2 - 3 weeks you'll have plenty of protection left on the surface so you don't have to do anything. Obviously a nice wash will help clean the surface and you can add that freshly detailed appearance with a quick coat of wax or a spray on product. The Chemical Guys HYBRID V7 - Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant is very popular for this task as it adds protection and a noticeable shine. With about 15 - 20 minutes the whole car should look like it was freshly detailed. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Greg, I bought (from you) and had professionally applied (ImageAutoNY in Syracuse - did a great job) the Opti Coat based on another thread....from reading it seems like the sealant recommendations are all over the map? Can you briefly elaborate?