View Single Post
      08-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #109
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
For whoever does not know (where have you been??) he is basically responsible for Wikileaks, the free speech organisation that has released a lot of confidential information to the public. Most of this information exposes corrupt Governments and individuals in this "War on Terror". So obviously there are some unhappy bunnies in the Government/Military.

Now the US want him to pay for what he's done. Ironic isn't it. But what the US wants, the US will get with help from its allies. So a sex allegation against Assange was made up and is being used by Sweden to try and get him extradited to Sweden. Then Sweden can get him extradited to the US where he will face life in jail or even the death penalty.

Assange then sought refuge in Equador's Embassy in London to claim political asylum. And in the last few days Equador has recently granted him political asylum So legally the UK police cant arrest him as long as he stays in the Embassy. At the moment there are around 100 UK police officers surrounding the Embassy, waiting to pounce.

What do you guys think about the whole situation? Is Assange right in what he did or should he not have exposed our Governments? How can he leave the UK without being arrested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
I think some of the info leaked could have potentially put thousands of people in danger by giving locations, plans, grids, etc.. And not just the US, but all it's allies helping to fight overseas as well. Whether or not I believe this diabolical scheme you are talking about with Sweden, I think there should be some kind of punishment. It is basically treason to some extent, which used to be punishable by murdering you in the face with a gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
He could have handled it better than throwing thousands of pages of classified documents online that contain info that could endanger our soldiers overseas. Say what you want about our military, but it's not their choice to go where they are eventually deployed. They get put in harms way to protect our way of life, and Julian made their lives harder whether he knows it or not.

Block out location data, names, and things like that. Simply be more responsible than uploading megabytes of raw unedited PDF files.
What he did was not an expose; it was a mass data dump. He is trying to argue that his co-conspirators deserve whistle-blower protection but this argument fails. Doubtless, a substantial amount of information posted on wikileaks is probably by those seeking to right a wrong and expose an injustice. Unfortunately for assange (and Manning), posting a massive amount of sensitive data without regard for its contents or any selectivity in the matter has nothing to do with whistleblowing. My opinion...treasonous (for a citizen).