09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
andrey_gta
Colonel

Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smev View Post
Thanks for your quick response Andrey, The drop-in filter sounds the most appealing option simply because it's a replacement rather than modifying what's already there, but will that make a noticeable difference in sound?
Tes just get the official BMW performance air filter(search for its part code) or the oiled K&N version( ~$40) or the afe version (~$60-$70 for oiled or dry, cost is the same, just use the part number form their website in google)

Oiled could dirty up the MAF sensor, so be careful and know ehere you can buy a MAF cleaner spray. Never touch the sensitive part...

Quote:
I'd be inclined to try cutting a hole in the airbox and then maybe feeding a hose to it from behind the grille if possible, as you say it is reversible by plugging it up but not ideally what i'd like to do. I get the impression this will give a bit more of a modified sound than i'm after from past experience aswell, not to mention filling my airbox with crap? Maybe i'm wrong it's just a thought..?
To cut a hole and run a hose to it is alot like Mr. 5 intake mod on here and the Dinan Ram air box for USA box

A simple hole should be enough to add sound, no need to go the extra mile with ducting.

yes it could fill the box with crap so be selective if you choose to mod it, maybe no oil filters... the Euro box is easy to open vs USA box

here is a drastic example:
http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29860

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 09-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.
andrey_gta is offline   Canada