After lots of trial and error, I eventually figured out that the car was in the wrong "mode." When I took the key out, put it in, and tried without pressing the start/stop button to turn on accessories it worked. I had been pressing the button before attempting to connect, and it wouldn't work.
About an hour later, the daten file issue became apparent when I tried to code the KOMBI module, lol. I worked through it. So far, so good.
I'm left with two issues:
#1 I can't find the bulb checks to code them out. I went into the NFRM module where they should be but none of them are in there for me to change to nicht_aktiv.
#2 For some reason, my lane change indicator now only blinks once instead of 3 times when activated, though I never modified it intentionally.