View Single Post
      09-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #183
Hotcoupe
Major General

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
How can Watchdog say there's a security update available, yet it's only for 2 types of BMW! Actually not very happy with Watchdog they should be giving people the correct information!
No point being annoyed with Watchdog,they only passed on the information that BMW passed on to them.

It was clear what happened yesterday IMO,BMW were originally quite happy to ignore the programme until the story gained momentum through the media,and the stance from BMW changed as the programme approached.

There was no security update available when the programme was broadcast,and there is not one available now,this whole fiasco is nothing more than damage limitation from BMW,and Watchdog were caught flatfooted by what I think was a very late change of approach from BMW with the hastily organised freephone number 'con'.

Personally,I'm more than happy with the steps I've taken to secure my car,and to be honest,even if a security update becomes available,I will still question how it works and if it as effective as what I have already done.

If anyone wants to call BMW,there is apparently another number you can try:

01344 480 971

However,if you do ring expect to hear this:

"There is a software update but it's still under testing, should be available in 8 weeks. Your local dealership will contact you for this "free of charge" security update."

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Hotcoupe is offline   United Kingdom