View Single Post
      09-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
calicolorado
Private
Rep

Drives: E90 328i MT

New gearbox and rear diff oil at 100k + BMW maintenance rant

Hi folks, I recently changed the gearbox fluid in my '08 328i using Redline D4 ATF. The rear diff was changed using Redline 75W90, the same stuff I use in my 2002. I have about 1000 miles on the fluids now and I have to report that it is without question an essential maintenance item for our cars, despite BMW recommendations.

Shift feel has improved 75% from the factory fill and I am actually enjoying the car more. You can feel the precision in the gearbox and how it was engineered to operate with light effort and quick throws. Well done Getrag and Redline!!!

I used my $3.99 transfer pump from Harbor Freight to put the fluids in both the gearbox and diff. I also used it to draw the old fluid out of the diff using a smaller piece of tubing attached onto the larger intake hose on the pump. I had a plastic beaker to dump fluids into so I could measure the volume removed.

It's so important that those of us who want to keep our cars for hundreds of thousands of miles understand the folly of BMW's philosophy toward maintenance and fluids. There is no way BMW could convince me that a "Lifetime Fill" fluid is appropriate to a motor vehicle. It's not possible. If you want things to last, and your BMW to last just like the sweet, amazing, high mileage E24s, E28's and E30's, you MUST stick to regular fluid changes. Our E90's are capable of the same longevity, I truly believe.

BMW has succumbed to the modern way-their cars are disposable and are marketed toward a lowest common denominator who wants nothing to do with vehicle maintenance. For those of us who love their product, this is tragic, but fortunately, they can be kept fresh through rigorous maintenance.
1972 BMW 2002
2003 Audi TT 225 Coupe