Originally Posted by MJ
I just took my '07 328xi coupe off the road. It will be parked for 6 months. I was wondering how long I could leave it between starts (to charge the battery, I don't have a trickle charger) maybe once a week or two? Also how long would be good to run it during these infrequent starts? 10 minutes or more.
As usual any help would be appreciated.
I live in Toronto, Ontario and don't drive my car from Dec1 to March 30 (4 months). Here's what I do
1) DON'T START IT UNTIL YOUR READY TO DRIVE IT AGAIN !!!
Starting and idling the car in cold weather from cold starts where the oil has drained into the pan is the worse thing you can do for your car. The car will not warm up properly and you will also get water in your exhaust and into the oil pan from the moisture of not properly warming the car up. This will cause rust and all sorts of problems later. That said spend the money and buy a battery tender with a float charge. A trickle charger is not good.
2) Change the oil - Dirty oil for that long is bad for the car.
3) Top up the fuel tank then add Sta bil to preserve your gas and fuel system.
4) Clean the car, put in the garage and put a car cover over it.
5) Make sure the tires have plenty of air although with RFTs tis may not be an issue
I have been doing this for 5 years now with zero problems and the car starts right back up in the spring!!!