View Single Post
      10-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTempoLimitN54 View Post
Got a CBS / brake pad wear sensor question:

My car is still under factory warranty. When I got my car in July, the rear brakes had 4100 miles to go. They have been steadily declining since. When I do some fast driving on twisty roads, especially if I power out of corners, the miles to go will reduce by 100 miles each time. It's the DSC using the rear brake pads as a "simulated limited slip".

The indication got down to 1000 miles to go just before last weekend. On Sunday I did the BMWCCA autocross at the Auto Club Speedway in CA. A few days later the sensor still reads 1000 miles to go. There is no way that I didn't wear out those rear brake pads that day - we did 10 practice runs and 3 timed runs and I had DTC on the whole time.

Does the CBS miles to go stop at 1000 miles until you hit the second stage of the wear indicator? I need to know in order to schedule my appointment to get my rear pads changed. I want to get a nice BMW loaner and not just some cheesy rental car.

Plus my rear brakes squeal like hell and I want that problem resolved.

Thanks!
The CBS is a miles-to-go estimate of remaining pad life. Once the pad replacement indictor light comes on and stays on, the pads need to be replaced. You cannot just go by the CBS estimate.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States