Thread: ECS Brake Kit
View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Drilled, (and slotted to some extent) rotors are mainly cosmetic for street use and can even introduce unwanted problems such as heat/stress cracking that plain flat rotors would not have. Especially if quality of castings is poor.

Track cars use them frequently, but that is with the understanding that they are changed out after very little use.

With that being said, I personally like the look of drilled/slotted rotors & don't mind installing them as long as they are quality units. Actually, rotors that have the holes cast into them vs. drilled afterwards are better & hole chamfering is a must. Dimpled rotors don't have this problem as they are not thru hole and there are no edges for cracks to propagate from.

I have upgraded Baer GT+ system on my T/A with cast in holes/slotted 2-pc rotors that are much bigger than stock, 6 piston front calipers/4 piston rears, Hawk pads, & the braking performance is phenomenal! With that system there was no flat/blank rotor option.

I do plan on getting a set of the ECSTuning drilled/slotted rotors to test out in the near future - but again, in the case of my DD BMW, this is simply for looks and the rust free coating

Their pricing is very reasonable - just hope that doesn't mean degraded quality...
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States