View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
E90 87ss
Lieutenant

Drives: 325i, W212 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
Good info. I didn't mean to sound like I doubted your friend's experience if that's how it came across. I'm not an advanced driver, but like many of you who frequent this area of the forum, I'm sincerely interested in improving my driving. When I read your post, I was trying to relate to my own personal driving experiences for context. In my mind, "putting the hammer down" is how I would describe mashing the gas as the light turns green while brake torquing at the drag strip.

I drive my AT in DS mode with DSC off during autoX and track days. However, I've found that the car will still downshift if your revs are low enough and you hit the kick down switch.

Mashing the gas and hitting the kick down switch coming out of corners caused me to spin my car several times when I first started out (fortunately during autoX and never on a road course). Instructors would tell me I was over driving the car, too eager to stomp the gas, too jerky with my hands, etc.

Over time I've found that when I'm pushing hard on exit, "rolling into the throttle" can be done quickly, but not so quick as to trigger kick down or spins. I'm not trying to imply that I'm afraid of the car downshifting, but rather I'm working to find that perfect balance between maintaining traction while getting back to full throttle as quickly as possible.

By the way, the rubber grommets really are a good idea, and I may try that out.

This is why being able to hold/control your gears is important. I had an instructor force me to drive in D with traction control on, a miserable experience because I didn't know how the power was going to be delivered, i.e., if the car was going to downshift or upshift for me + the lag as the trans figures things out.

Generally speaking, from my experience you want to know what gear and rpm you should be in when going into and around a corner since you don't normally shift while cornering... When exiting a corner your rpm should be relatively high, at least high enough for you to exit with a good amount of power. If you're in D or DS and your rpm are low enough that flooring it as you exit the corner causes a downshift then you are probably in too low of a gear for that corner to begin with. I could be wrong so feel free to correct me...

On a short auto x course i stay in 2nd... on the road courses usually one or two gears depending on how slow a corner is or how long a straight is. Even on twisty roads I usually stay in 3rd or fourth all the way through...