View Single Post
      11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #73
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It would just be the Dems in the Senate stonewalling.
I suspect that would possibly be the case, although if you believe some of the posters on this forum, that would be impossible. Such "Anti-American Obstructionism" is the exclusive domain of the mean, selfish Republican party. They would NEVER put ideology above country, and if they were seen to do so, it would be called "justifiably adhering to their principles", not obstructionism.

Quote:
That said, the Dems and Obama need to accept that right now, starting immediately, some of their pet programs (entitlements) need to be overhauled, pork barrel spending needs to be stopped cold, and compromise is *not* a bad word.

Yes. What happened in congress in the mid-term elections in 2010 should have sent that message already, but apparently it didnt get thru.
Some folks on this forum even speculated that the general public has become so disillusioned with the lack of progress that this time around (ie: yesterday I'm talking about), the right majority in the house would be swept out of power in a fit of righteous indignation, similar to what happened in 2010, only in reverse. Clearly that didnt happen. Overall the senate/house numbers are remarkably unchanged. For every 5 people who held the Republicans responsible for the gridlock, apparently another 5 (or more) didn't, based on the congressional results.

Maybe (hopefully), the message that failed to resonate with Obama in 2010 might start to take hold, now that it's been delivered twice in a row.

Quote:
The GOP needs to accept that right now, starting immediately, some of their pet programs (tax breaks) need to be overhauled, pork barrel spending needs to be stopped cold, and compromise is *not* a bad word.
To some degree I would concur, but I'm not sure the message from the electorate about this is as loud and clear; see my comments above regarding the 2010 congressional elections, and then the failure of the people to exercise their right to reverse them yesterday.