View Single Post
      11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #74
M_Six
Free Thinker

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
I suspect that would possibly be the case, although if you believe some of the posters on this forum, that would be impossible. Such "Anti-American Obstructionism" is the exclusive domain of the mean, selfish Republican party. They would NEVER put ideology above country, and if they were seen to do so, it would be called "justifiably adhering to their principles", not obstructionism.
Politicians are politicians. Those on the fringe (which is way too many) will bear down like a mad dog in defense of their "principles." Rather than sweeping one party or the other from power, I would have liked to see the fringe folks on both sides get swept from power. We need people who think for the good of the country (which is why part of me is sad to see Scott Brown gone).

Quote:
Yes. What happened in congress in the mid-term elections in 2010 should have sent that message already, but apparently it didnt get thru.
Some folks on this forum even speculated that the general public has become so disillusioned with the lack of progress that this time around (ie: yesterday I'm talking about), the right majority in the house would be swept out of power in a fit of righteous indignation, similar to what happened in 2010, only in reverse. Clearly that didnt happen. Overall the senate/house numbers are remarkably unchanged. For every 5 people who held the Republicans responsible for the gridlock, apparently another 5 (or more) didn't, based on the congressional results.
I think that many of those responsible for gridlock were reelected due to their social leanings rather than their ability to correct the economy or affect change. There are way too many people in this country who will vote for someone for stupid reasons regardless of the person's ability as a legislator. I give you Michelle Bachmann and Jesse Jackson, Jr. as examples. Neither deserves to be in Congress yet both got reelected.

Quote:
To some degree I would concur, but I'm not sure the message from the electorate about this is as loud and clear; see my comments above regarding the 2010 congressional elections, and then the failure of the people to exercise their right to reverse them yesterday.
See above. Conservative social issues (pro-life, gay marriage, etc) and abject stupidity are widely responsible for many successful reelections.

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States