View Single Post
      11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #41
N8N
Major

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Cars have come a long way in the past few decades... now a German car from the late 60's or early 70's, that will rust if you look at it funny... but even VWs from the early-mid 80's on seem to be fairly corrosion resistant, the undercoat the Krauts use, that waxy stuff, is better than anything that we use over here. My mom drove and '86 Golf for years and while toward the end stuff was failing that just happens when you have tons of years and miles on a car (like a spring breaking just while driving along) the body was still in pretty good shape. My dad painted it once due to some rust finally starting in random places like around the hatch handle but it was really mostly good, and my parents live in western PA, about the worst possible place you can imagine for road salt/rust (because often the temps oscillate back and forth around freezing in the winter, so you can get salt water solution thrown up in all the nooks and crannies, and then it'll get "warm" before you have a chance to wash it off.)
N8N is offline   United_States