View Single Post
      11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #37
ajm8127
Private

Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
I agree with what you say and I when designing this I initially contemplated doing it before the heat exchanger for that reason. However, I figured 3 things,..1) Someone will eventually make a AT radiator that would help in the future 2) I really have not had water temp issue with my upgraded fan (850W) and using 85% distilled water and 15% coolant with 2 bottles Water Wetter. 3) There is sufficient data that proves that the Transmission Cooler placement AFTER te heat exchanger and radiator is about 5-6% more efficient than before. I forgot where I read the data but it is out there. That last piece of info convinced me to do it after the exchanger. Besides everyone else on the Corvette Forums do it that way. So why try to reinvent the wheel? It works for them so it should work for us.

I have a busy weekend preparing the house and all the "honey do list" thing with family coming for Thankgiving. So, I may be a little pressed for time in getting the new Molex connector hooked up to get INLET temps but I will try.

N54_Fan
I do remember our conversation from before and I do recall you not having water temp issues. I completely agree that if you have no issues with your coolant temps (not just no limp mode, but never over 117C) then the only point of the transmission cooler is to cool the transmission fluid. Reducing the thermal load on the engine coolant system is a moot point.

I am just the curious type, and always look at things from multiple angles. It would be interesting to have data to compare placing the axillary cooler before and after the stock cooler and how each layout influenced the temperature of the ATF and of the engine coolant. A lot of AT guys have limp mode problems and that is why I am so curious. Are the limp problems caused by not having a portion of the radiator available for engine cooling? Are they caused by an increase in thermal load due to heat being transferred from the ATF to the coolant? Is it a combination?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am genuinely curious.

I don't expect you to spend your time reconfiguring your system and doing testing, but this seems like an appropriate thread to discuss these issues.

Do you know the freezing point of the 15% antifreeze mixture you use?