11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
benzy89
Banned

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I may be the minority but I fail to see the big deal with an upgraded FMIC for a DD car... I see it as an important part if you are consistently tracking your car or if you are driving around in hot weather all the time. We are currently approaching winter and for most people this mod will do next to nothing... its a dyno day / track day mod more than a daily driver mod... I would do DPs long before FMIC but that is purely my opinion. I saw the same situation on any other platform I've owned or worked on...
You're def in the minority, especially with all the data supporting the need for upgrading the FMIC. The OEM core can become easily heat soaked & with our tunes, we're pushing the timing into a much more aggressive area. While there's nothing wrong with leaving the OEM FMIC on, once it becomes heat soaked (which only takes a few aggressive pulls), the DME will start pulling timing & reduce performance.

Because I opted not to run meth & wanted to run a safe, high-power tune setting, I knew that I not only needed the required mods (tune, DPs), but I would also need the supporting mods (FMIC). Obviously ambiant temps play a very important role in performance (cold air = more HP), so an upgraded FMIC won't be as noticeable in the winter until you start romping on it. But then again most people aren't driving 335's in sub-40 degree weather aggressively, but they are driving their modified cars hard during the middle of July when it's consistently 80+ and an aftermarket FMIC will fight off heatsoak & more effectively cool ambiant temps then the OEM core.
benzy89 is offline   United_States