View Single Post
      11-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #41
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think tire rack does not recommend anti seize on the lugs. They say extreme caution must be used if that's done. It's just a wheel going on a car, why do something that turns it into brain surgery?

I don't see what the purpose would be, it's flirting with danger and definitely affecting the torqued value. Yes, even a good torque wrench can be +/- 3 lbs. at 85 lbs. ft., so why throw it off another 3-4? Now you could be at 79.

The anti seize is so the BMW rim doesn't get stuck to the hub, which it will without. The nuts come off like butter when dry. Again, just imho never, ever, ever, use anti seize on the lugs or on other cars, the nuts. It's playing around introducing risk, with no reward....
Umm... tell that to my dad, who I was trying to help swap tires this past weekend. Vehicle was an '02 GTI 1.8T but lugs look identical to BMW. From just a summer's worth of all-weather driving, the lugs were so corroded that it took a breaker bar with a 5' "cheater pipe" to bust the lugs loose - no normal hand tools, and not even the local service station's impact wrench could get them off.

I think lug bolts are even worse than lug nuts in this regard, because if you have exposed lug nuts they are likely "acorn" style where there's no easy path for water/salt to get on the threads, while with lug bolts, the bit that protrudes through to the backside of the hub can get splashed with all sorts of nastiness.

Now the service station did finally break down and put anti-sleaze on the threads and they did advise my dad to check the torque after a couple days of driving, so they have a functional clue...