View Single Post
      11-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #84
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
ok, so MOST is the bus, so I guess some newer ECUs like to be coded only using it.
not REALLY - There's a MOST-CAN gateway device in the car that allows messages to be sent across the two busses back and forth, which in theory means you can program even a MOST-only 2URAD with a DCAN cable attached to the OBD-II port. But in practice, the only way that actually works reliably is if you have newer software and an OPS head, etc etc, expensive and mostly only applies to dealers.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the way you code BT or 6FL into the car is by editing your VO in (N)FRM and CAS, then resetting the head unit with an SG_RESET - that message is sent from your DCAN cable to the radio through the gateway. But then for whatever reason, my 2URAD won't respond to SG_CODIEREN or GET_CODED jobs from my particular installation of NCSEXPERT. Some people don't have that problem.

Now if I have MOST cables at the back of the HU, I should have Logic7 too? Where should it be?
No, I only meant that as an example of one thing that uses MOST. All the headunits (except maybe old Business units? is that what you had? I forget) have a MOST connection. You can tell if you have L7 by looking at the center vent trim in your dash - if there's a speaker grill in the middle and not just solid plastic, you have a center speaker and thus L7. That said, if you had L7 you'd almost certainly know it - it's not a cheap option (and gives you advanced EQ functions in the headunit and whatnot).

Also where is MOST diagnose port?
In the pedal trim, just to the right of the OBD-II connector. It's a little flush square you can pop out with a trim tool to get access to a MOST connector. As installed in the cover, the most connector is pointed to a terminator that just shorts the lines together to complete the ring. You won't really ever have a good reason to mess with this, though.