Should really do a Palmnuts style writeup, but the headlines are:
- More refined than the MINI (a given).
- More refined than the 135i Coupe.
- Adaptive ride and winter tyres is very good. Sport firms it up nicely.
- Eco-pro is horrible.
- Lane departure warning is very subtle.
- Reversing camera gets too dirty too quickly (poor placement).
- Lines and PDC overlay on the camera works well though.
- More room than the E87 in the back (or so I'm told).
- Engine note much more refined than the 135i Coupe (less tinny at high revs).
- Auto-start stop isn't delayed for long enough before stopping. It works fine, but when you are momentarily stopping in traffic it'll cut the engine, whereas in a manual you'd keep the clutch depressed to keep the engine running for the few seconds you are stopped. For this reason it's going to be regularly turned off.
- Black panel display is good with all the extra info.
- Scrolly wheels on the steering wheel work nicely in combination with black panel display.
- Speedlimit display generally works. Though I did pull onto the drive and see it say 70mph!
- People tend to take a second look when they hear it start up. Not many 1 series make a noise like this. Something that was the same in the 135i Coupe.
- They removed the "all" button from the climate control. OCD owners have to adjust both knobs again.