12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
They definitely sell synthetic, but the price keeps changing so that's why I said $30 plus. (It used to be around $30 with the filter.) You can definitely get Mobil 1 0w-40. I used to buy Mobil 1 at Walmart but they don't have 0w-40. Mobil 1 0w-40 is recommended fill for a lot of Mercedes vehicles, or at least all 4 in my household, model yrs '91 through '09. (I'm not sure about AMGs.) Did you use the BMW oil before? I like that the most. It is hard to find 5w-30 oil that is LL-01 rated. Valvoline is for their Synpower HST, which is only sold in 55 gallon drums. Their MST version is said to fit but is not "formally" approved. The base number is lower at 7 something. I can not find on the Pennzoil site an Ultra Euro 5w-30 that has LL-01, only 5w-40, or at least last time I checked...
Really? Ill definitely need to grab the deal the next time it pops up!
I use to have the bmw oil when I was under warranty but it didn't seem to cool fast enough or wasn't good enough on cold starts. I usually only let my car warm for a minute before driving again from a cold and mobil 1 0w40 seemed to do it for me. I'm curious though, why is castrol edge not LL approved? Gtx doesn't exist anymore so does that mean we only use the bmw oil from the stealerships? People seem to say mobil is better and cheaper than bmw oil and you have more variations and choices with it also. The last time I checked, 0w-40 was sold in walmart, it's just you'd have to find out which one. They do sell singles though and I have a guy who sells mobil 1. 6 qts for 35 bucks for any weigh and its about a block away from home. I also see other oils that are "contenders" but they don't have the LL approval and I'm skeptical to try it. What would happen if I do? I hear a lot of people using motul and royal purple even though its not LL approved but they say it runs like a champ. What are your thoughts on that?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.