Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
While that may be true on a flash tune, I don't think it is necessarily so on the JB4 with autotuning and learned values. I guess my point was that below 15psi, no matter the map, I'd probably prefer DPs unless I was somewhere very hot. Just for reference I have an fmic and no dps, so I really don't have a horse in this race lol.
You make it sound like there's a significant difference in the tunes with this aspect. Even if you add DPs, you might momentarily have more power (glory power pull), but the minute the OEM intercooler becomes heatsoaked, your IATs are going to skyrocket which the factory DME will sense & yank timing (reducing performance) and then the JB4 will have to reduce boost (2nd reduction in power).

Jeff's point is that the Stage 1+ (Tune + FMIC) COBB Maps can be made more aggressive then the Stage 2 (Tune + DPs) because the aftermarket IC does the most important thing - significantly reduces IATs & allows for a more aggressive tune (more aggressive timing, boost targets) because the cooled air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
is Los Angeles considered a hot place lol? i mean it gets over 100f in summer
If it's not between 40-60 degree all year, get an IC. This is why Meth is much more popular on the West Coast -- You not only get an octane bump (up from that 91 shit gas), but also get the added cooling/IAT reduction.