View Single Post
      12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
kiwi29
Team iTouge

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
LL04 is a low-Saps version of LL01. LL04 has been used in parts of europe since the days of the E46/E39 etc. Both are ACEA A3/B4 but LL04 also has C3 (low Saps designation ).

Due to inconsistent sulphur levels and ethanol BMW specs LL01 for gassers in North America. US diesels use LL04.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Yup. LL-01 is hard to find. I like to stick with the weight recommended my the car manufacturer, so 0 is too thin and 40 is too thick for me. (I've read the manuals for the '08 E90 front to back, and as I recall it recommends 5w-30.) Finding LL-01 and 5w-30 on a bottle, well, my only find is at BMW. The oil and BMW filter cost $63 and change for me at New Century in Alhambra after 10% off for being a BMW Car Club member. Still saved almost $30....

LL-04 is for diesels, as I understand. (I think it has something to do with higher level of ZDDP additive, but don't quote me on that.)

I don't use stabilizers, and haven't researched them. I don't think they are necessary if you use the right oil in the first place. Use the extra money on the right oil, I guess.

If I had bumped into a thread about overheating I would ask if you had work done on the cooling system. As I know there is a special bleeding procedure, (and tool to use, some sort of pump that you pressurize the system to a certain level,) to do when adding coolant after cooling system work. If I remember correctly I had to detach a coolant hose to install the oil cooler retrofit. I then had a performance power kit installed by a dealer since I knew they would have to bleed the system anyways...
Ohh I. Always thought that ll04 was the newer recommended oil for bmw. I had no idea it was for diesel. Thank you guys for the insight sorry OP
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States