SmellyGreek
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Jet Black E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
Hey Guys so I got the geomet slotted front rotors for my car and installed them about 1500 miles ago. I used the existing cool carbon brake pads on my car since I only installed them like 3000 miles prior to the new rotors so there was plenty of life left on them. Well they have been great thus far and now I have steering wheel wobble when i apply 40% or more brake at speeds around 30-70mph. Someone told me that it could be carbon buildup on the rotors making the surface uneven and that some heavy braking could help burn it off? Any suggestions on what I should do. Ive contemplated buying new brake pads to see if that will change anything. Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like you didn't properly bed the pads to the new rotors. Depending on the pads, the procedure may vary a little but the general concept is to do a series of 60 - 5 MPH hard stops with a few minutes of driving (while minimizing the use of the brakes) in between to let the brakes cool down. This ensures an even transfer of pad material to the rotor to prevent brake pulsation at high speeds.