View Single Post
      12-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i

I did extensive internet research on BMW MTF-LT-3, which is Castrol BOT 207. It's very hard to find info, but I did find the following passages in a Castrol document:

Quote:
The team settled on a fluid known as BOT 207.
Tests on a rolling road showed lower fuel consumption when BOT 207 was used. There was a 1.4 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency over the fluid normally used in the BMW Mini...
Then the Castrol doc goes on, blah blah about saving 3 grams of CO2 per kilometer. That 3g will save the world (or you can hold your breath for 8 minutes and save the same amount of CO2 emission). Obviously the change to MTF-LT-3 (from LT-2) is primarily motivated by efficiency.

Quote:
Fill-for-life already exists for passenger cars, which typically have a life expectancy of 200,000-250,000km.
As far as I'm concerned, this is catching "them" red-handed! Fill-for-life my arse! Who's life are we talking about here? If you want to drive your car longer than 124k ~ 155k miles, you'd better change that transmission oil. If you believe BMW that it's lifetime fill, then you'r cars lifetime is no more than 155k miles.

Rather than repost the whole thing, I'd like to link to another thread on this same sub-forum where I posted the results of my research into manual transmission and differential lubricants (where the above is sourced), and where other members provided some valuable info:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471019

I'm glad to hear that many of you have tried Red Line D4 and D6 ATF in BMW 6MT and have been happy with the results. I've been leaning in that direction due to the excessive cost and hassle of sourcing BMW MTF-LT-3. Also, Red Line's reputation and Mike Miller's confidence in their lubricants (he claims virtually all BMW manual transmission rebuilders use Red Line lubricants) weigh in that decision.

Has anyone tried Red Line D6 ATF in a 335i 6MT (ZF GS6-53BZ transmission)?
2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Black Sapphire / Shadowline (Individual 760) / Black Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, no Nav/iDrive, 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 VMR VB3 in Hyper Black, Pilot Super Sport 235/35 fr 265/30 rr, M3 control arms + tension links (fr)
NoTempoLimitN54 is offline   United_States