12-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds BMW View Post
matlough, be very careful. If you test drive an M135i you will end up buying one!

Nicktyler, regarding warranty, have you ever seen or heard of anyone who has had repairs under warranty refused due to modification? I believe that would be unlawful, since BMW warranty covers manufacturing defects only, and they can't be caused by anything the owner chooses to do with his car.

Warranty invalidation is a fear tactic, like an MOT station telling you the brakes are dangerous, but they can fix it cheaply.....this kind of thing is happening a lot, and not just the car business!
My understanding is that the extended insurance warranty that BMW offer is not tied to the same legal requirements as the original 3 year manufacturer's warranty. It is an insurance warranty and if they want to specify that the car must be serviced/repaired only at BMW and not be modified to be covered, they are within their rights to do so.

On the original 3 year manufacturer's warranty they can refuse a repair if they feel that a modification contributed to or caused the failure.

How often either is applied is anyone's guess but ISTR plenty of tales of the former.

@ChrisNI - you can buy the BMW extended warranty as long as it has FBMWSH and is at less than 100k miles for the comprehensive (previously called "gold") cover, but they still cover most major components at over 100k on a "named component" policy.

What happens if you were the owner of the car before it gets to 100k and just keep renewing the fully comp warranty, I don't know, but in a year or so I'll get to that stage with mine (fully comp warranty paid monthly).

See:

http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

Just for the record I have a friend with a 335i Touring auto with a lot of mods from Birds (including Quaiffe diff, different bushes and shocks all round, and allegedly 400 odd bhp) and he has had no issues, The car drives beautifully - the diff in particular is a real bonus.
Appreciate 0